I’ve posted before about my struggle to give sugar up completely- but because I’m not the type of person who can do things drastically, I’ve come up with the idea to have sugar only on weekends.
It could work.
And because one of the things my husband and I love most about Sundays is having our families over (we were both raised this way), we decided to make an event of it: hereafter known in these parts as Ice Cream Party Sundays! Here are tips on throwing your own:
- Ice Cream. You’ll need ice cream, of course. Three plain flavors should do, such as Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. I like to throw in some unexpected flavors as well, such as Cheese or Ube or Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. Because I can.
- Accessories. A stack of small bowls, or (as in the photo above) edible waffle baskets. I like to put out a box of sugar cones as well. If we’re expecting mostly adults, we use Margarita glasses for extra chic-ness.
- Toppings! Here’s where you can go nuts. Literally, with nuts- and crushed oreos, mini M&Ms, marshmallows, fresh fruit, whipped cream in cans… the sky’s the limit.
- Syrup. I actually prefer my ice cream without toppings, but doused in generous amounts of syrup. Warm up some chocolate syrup, make your own ganache and add a few tablespoons of corn syrup, or perhaps some caramel with about a cup of cream mixed in.
- Have savories available. Too much sweet can leave your guests yearning for something salty and savory. Try also serving something like a cheese plate or even simply a bowl of barbecue chips.