Who doesnâ€™t like tomato soup? A near-impossible dish to mess up, and a classic to serve in all settings.
For 4 servings:
– 55g Butter
– 1 Finely chopped onion
– Salt and pepper
– 600ml hot Chicken or Vegetable Stock
– 700g Finely Chopped Tomatoes
– Pinch of Sugar
– 2 tbsp shredded fresh basil
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Melt half the butter in a large, heavy bottom saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat for around 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper, then bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
2. Slowly add the Chicken or Vegetable stock, bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 10 more minutes
3. Sieve the soup to remove the skins and seeds. Return to the pan, stir in the sugar remaining butter and the basil and parsley. Heat briefly, but do not boil.
4. Serve immediately, with a fresh roll, croutons or sprigs of basil!